Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wednesday recipe: Buckwheat flatbreads

This is a very simple recipe I found on the back of the buckwheat flour packet.  I am trying to stop eating wheat and it's not easy.  I am having porridge for breakfast but find at lunch nothing beats a sandwich and soup.  I replaced the bread with wraps but was still having too much wheat.  I have found these flatbreads to be a great replacement...but need to be made and eaten fresh.

Buckwheat despite it's name is not actually wheat.  You can buy buckwheat cornels and cook just like cous cous or tabouleh.  Not to be confused with Bulgar Wheat which is actually wheat.

The flatbreads are vey simple
100 grams Buckwheat flour
12 tablespoons water
Pinch salt
Mix together in a bowl and leave for 10 minutes.
Heat up a pan or griddle very hot.
Spoon the mixture on, about pancake size, and spread out.  It should be the consistency of thick panacke batter, I left mine to stand for a long time and it had thickened, if so just add more water.
Cook on one side, flip and cook again.  It only takes about two minutes.

Then eat.

Iv'e just had some now wrap style with hard boiled egg, raw carrot, tomatoe, lettuce and cold ratatouille.  Great with a bowl of vegetable soup.
I have some mix aside for later (will check consistency again) and will fill them with some vegetarian Quorn chilli  have made in the fridge.
I have found these to be so simple and very versatile.  I will be making them in place of Naan or other falt breads on my next Curry night.
I'm also going to see how they work for grilled cheese sandwiches...mmmm...with some chutney.

Have a go and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Sarah Burgis Robinson said...

I am away from home at present, but will try your recipe when I get back. I can't eat wheat, but I do all my baking with Spelt flour,sometimes mixed with fine semolina.
Sarah

Quirky Apple said...

I must get some recipes from you sometime. I use spelt aswell but find it doesn't work in some things.

nicedaydesigns said...

Oh brilliant, I cut out wheat last year, but I've found myself being really lazy lately. They have a great spelt soda bread in my local shop, but they don't always have it.

I will definitely try these! BTW I'm pinning this recipe

Quirky Apple said...

I've been making these all week now. Today I added curry powder to the mix to spice it up a little and it was great. Now that I know what consistency is needed I've stopped measuring and just mix it up in a jug, rest, and the pour onto griddle pan like pancakes. Strangely it doesn't taste like it has no egg and no milk.