Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Making a mood board

I was writing an article for Irish Etsy Blog  Etsy Ireland about inspirations and where they come from.  I take photos everywhere I go and when looking back on them discovered many photos are of food and a large amount of these are markets. Normally I like really strong colours but found myself been drawn to a photo taken in the fish market in Venice of prawns and sea bass.  I love the soft pinks and the silver greys.


I thought I would try to make a mood board with this and see what I could come up with.  But I wanted it as a digital mood board to upload here and was having problems trying to find one.  I got a few good suggestions (thanks all).  I started looking for other images to use but found I was trying to match them up with this one photo..which is pointless, so just used this photo alone.  I opened it with IrfanView and played around with it, cropping and pixelating it and other effects and came up with the following...which is exactly what I wanted, breaking the image into colour and colour effects.



So, what to make with this.  Well first thought is a large quilt is many soft colours.  Second idea would be a wreath using the colours and maybe some sea life shapes.  I went to Fabric.com and searched through the colours and placed them on the inbuilt design board. This is a great tool where you can place all the fabrics and see if colour and pattern works together. I just have them layed flat but you can move around and place the fabric on top of each other.  I took a screen shot of the fabric and here is my selection.  Interestingly when I was selecting through the different colours I found I was selecting the same patterns.  The last fabric is a novelty fabric called "Sushi" and I just felt this added a little humour, maybe to be used as a backing or binding on table mats.
Now that I am inspired all I need is the time to create and the money to buy.  I think I will get 1/2 yard of each of these for next order and see how it goes.
What do you think????

No comments: