Pages

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wednesday Recipe: Mint, Ginger and Courgette Soup

OK I know it's Thursday...but the bank holiday has me confused and soup is good any day.  I use this recipe when my garden goes into overdrive.  It is over run with mint, we have peppermint and spearmint.  I also grow courgettes and trust me two plants in good soil is more than enough for a family of five.  This soup is a light summer soup using both of these with some ginger added and is quick and simple...and wonderfully tasty.

Ingredients:
A glug of oil
1 chopped onion
2cm grated fresh ginger
3 chopped courgettes
1 litre vegetabke stock
A bunch of mint

Put the oil into a pot and heat.  Sweat the onions and ginger until soft.  Add the chopped courgettes and cook for another two minutes.  Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and then simmer until the courgettes are soft.  Add in the mint leaves and using a hand blender whizz all together.  Taste and check seasoning.
This soup is good served hot with a dollop of greek yougurt, but it is even better chilled on a hot summers evening.
The mint adds a coolness and the the ginger gives it a kick.

Try it and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

elettrarossa said...

...courgettes can be overwhelming! Great recipe!

Sarah Burgis Robinson said...

Sounds good I will get back to you with my comments. Your garden looks so organised!